Filed under: Buffalo Bulls, Buffalo Sports, Dukes of Awesome Field Trips, News around Buffalo | Tags: Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, international bowl, tony gonzalez
…I love a Canadian sport so I couldn’t help but quote a Canadian band.
That’s right, everybody, it’s been a long time since I posted and even longer since I stalked Dani’s blog. But I’m back, and man will you be sick of me soon.
A lot has happened since I went on my personal hiatus. So here’s a highlight of all my “favorites.”
- Ruutu, you’re a coward. I mean, really? Biting? I don’t even know how to handle that. Neither did the entire arena when you did it. Seriously, we all sat there in complete shock and awe trying to figure out- nay, absorb- what you had just done.
- 7-9. Boy was I wrong. Well, I was only wrong about liking him. I wasn’t wrong about getting used to his presence in Buffalo. Unfortunately.
- In sharp contrast to the Bills situation, Lindy Ruff is still awesome. In fact, he may even be more awesome. If possible.
- I bought a house. Totally unrelated to the content of this blog but you should still be happy for me.
- The Bisons have a new uniform. It feels weird without Big Russ’ approval. It also feels weird having 3 completely different looking jerseys. Good thing I’m not a baseball fan.
- The CARDINALS made the Superbowl. You know, that football team from Arizona that we could always say “oh, at least we’re better than the cardinals” about? Them.
- The Bills made the S[o]uperbowl. But we lost that one, too.
- Bucky Brooks watched Tony Gonzalez pee in the bathroom of a KC bar and then told him off for not coming to Buffalo. Amazing. He’s my hero (Bucky, not Tony).
- MAC CHAMPS BABYYYYYY. Too bad we lost the Bowl game… but it had to be embarassing for UConn’s GIGANTIC band that UB’s band was somehow still significantly louder, right? Seriously, they had about 40 sousaphones. Pathetic. Also, no one could tell who this guy was rooting for when they would put him on the jumbotron. Someone tell him UConn’s blue is dark blue, not UB Blue. Idiot. Lastly, I was really happy to see so many students/fans at the game… but unhappy to hear that they have already forgotten the lyrics to the fight song our class[es] tried so hard to learn.
In my next post… the long awaited review of the Dukes’ trip to Miami. Man, I hate Miami.
Filed under: Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Sports, News around Buffalo | Tags: Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, God is setting Buffalo up for Glory, the Buffalo economy
Sure, it’s snowing today. Sure, soon we’ll have the highest property taxes in the Country, and yes- our economy is not that great. But none of you can tell me your aren’t having the best year EVER right now.
If you haven’t seen it, someone on facebook decided to start the group “God is just setting Buffalo up for glory” a few months back …and I couldn’t agree more.
The BILLS are 5-1… FIVE AND ONE!! Like, 5 wins, only 1 loss. After 75+ votes on the last poll, the options of “They finally have a real QB,” “Buffalo’s got the spirit, talkin’ proud, talkin’ proud,” and “They have internal timeclocks, they don’t need electricity” are in a dead heat at 25% each. What does that tell you? The Bills are so awesome you can’t even decide why. Not to mention they could easily go 5-2 in their next 7 games, at least. Where would that put them? At 10-3; their best record in an undisclosed number of years. The NFL seems to be in love with upset wins lately… are the Bills the next Superbowl contender? Is that really an upset if they are?!
The SABRES are also 5-(0)-1… FIVE AND (0) AND ONE! That’s even better than 5-1! Yes, I know the Sabres have about 76 more games to play, but it’s still fun an exciting to see them off to a great start. And it’s refreshing to see them so improved from last year- not only has Paille, Vanek, Lalaime, and even Peters stepped up- but the addition of Rivet has been nothing short of awesome while Miller is finally shining in his shoot-outs again.
Even the BULLS can finally win games this year.
The ECONOMY is not expected to torture Buffalo like it will the rest of the country. Not only did we not experience a bubble that could burst – but our real estate is holding steady and our job market is based heavily on health services and schools… 2 things that don’t feel the effects of recession like every other field.
The PEOPLE have taken back power from the greedy politicians. West Seneca residents are scheduled to vote on a government downsizing referendum in West Seneca on November 17.
So what does this all mean? Glory. It’s on the horizon. I can see it from my 9th floor office… and we can all feel it. In a time of economic hardship and shady politicians, Buffalo will bring hope to a country as the protagonist in the ultimate underdog story, and we’re all going to be a part of it. So enjoy the ride and takes lots of pictures so you can tell the story to your kids and grandkids of how Buffalo finally redeemed itself.
Filed under: Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Dukes of Awesome Field Trips, News around Buffalo, NFL News, NHL News | Tags: bills bye week, buffalo Christmas shopping, edwards concussion, jeremy jacobs, JP looks like No. 1, let West Seneca vote, sabrestyle, tony gonzalez
I know you’ve all been waiting for my witty opinions on things, and if you haven’t don’t tell me because it will hurt my feelings. So here’s a few new happenings in and around Buffalo for you to read about:
1. “SabresStyle” clothing line – Somewhat undecided. Looking at it I am immediately reminded of my younger (in high school) cousin. She has good taste. The problem is, do I want to be reminded of high school girls when I’m looking at Sabres clothing? This is walking a very fine line between cool and Pink Jerseys. And I won’t get into Pink Jerseys again. I’m thinking the clothes are nice, and I’ll opine that I like them, but they are not to take the place of a Jersey or team colors at a game.
2. The Goat Head Jersey – Enough already. I feel like this could go without saying, but I was surprised at the incredible amount of red and black at the HOME opener. Enough with the red and black jerseys already, especially when we play a team whose colors are red, okay?!? You look like Carolina/Ottawa/Montreal/Detroit etc etc fans. We get it, you liked the Sabres in the 90s. Cut it out and go buy an $8 T-shirt at Wegmans. But if you’re going to wear the shirt as long as you’ve been wearing the Goat head, stay away from the slug cause it’ll be gone.
3. The Bills’ Bye Week- productive? Maybe.
- + Apparently Roscoe is “ahead of schedule” …yet I question what “ahead” of 4-6 weeks means. 3-5? As long as he’s back for the Miami trip I’ll be happy.
- +/- Rumors floating around BillsInsider said Edwards was looking good and ready to play, but the same guy* told us our bus would work. (*He’s a nice guy, I’m just not buying another bus from him. I harvest no ill will otherwise.) Considering there’s just as many reports circling that he’s not okay as there is that he is ok (Adam schefter says the Bills might rest him if he’s still borderline), I guess we wait. But he’s practicing!
- + Jason Peters likely had some more time to actually learn how to play for the Bills. Bum.
- – Number One Seven probably didn’t get any better over the past week.
- + By doing absolutely nothing, the Bills maintained their first place standing. Next up? A string of games which will determine who the Bills really are- first we play a team the Pats lost to last night and then 3 divisional games in a row, 2 on the road. Blatant unfair scheduling aside, it should be an exciting run.
4. The West Seneca Town Board – Jerks. Stop wasting MORE of the residents’ money just so you can stay in office for another… oh wait, it won’t keep you in office any longer. You’re in the same group as the Goat Heads. Cut it out already. Let West Seneca Vote!!!
5. A 2pm Sabres game on a day I have to work even though I work at a law firm and all the courts are closed and the boss didn’t come in – Crappy. So no one tell me anything cause I’m DVRing it at home and pretending it’s taking place live at 7pm tonight. According to Dirk Daniels because the Sabs are in 8th place, if they lose tonight the Isles can skip over them and take their playoff spot. Playoffs here we come!
6. Tony Gonzalez? Bring Him On!!!
- Update! He’s a jerk. Changed my mind.
7. Will Deleware North Owner Jeremy Jacobs sell the Bruins to buy the Bills? – Heck Yea he will! He can say the Bruins aren’t for sale until he’s blue in the face… but read between the lines. “Mr. Jacobs hopes the team stays in his family for many generations.” If he hands the team to his son tomorrow, he hasn’t sold it AND he can buy the Bills. <jubilant trumpet sound> Now all we need is for Ralphie to sell the Bills before his family gets their fingers on them.
8. Christmas is in the Air? Should you start your Christmas shopping? – Heck yea again! Stay tuned in for your exclusive Christmas Shopping guide for Buffalo Sports fans. I love Christmas.
Filed under: Bills Obsession, Buffalo Bills, News around Buffalo, NHL News | Tags: Bills lost, buffalo still rules, hockey's back!, jp loserman, kevin gaughan, thecost
Considering the utter disappointment you must definitely feel after yesterday’s atrocious display of “football” by the Bills, here’s a list of things to brighten your day:
1. Kevin Gaughan’s downsizing plan went to court this morning after being challenged by a “citizen” (aka politician’s toadies). Judge Mintz in Erie Supreme Court found in favor of Gaughan and “TheCost” and the movement continues in West Seneca. If you’re a resident, remember to vote for (or, if you so chose for some reason, against) the proposition to downsize this November.
2. If JP Loserman had to play a game this season, at least it was one we were probably going to lose anyways.
3. Buffalo Sabres hockey starts this Friday against Montreal. Ah, hockey.
4. It’s sunny out.
5. Edwards gets an extra week to recover from his concussion because of the Bills’ bye next week.
6. Gas prices are actually going down.
7. The Erie Canal Harbor has a website (http://www.eriecanalharbor.com/) Dare I say Future Waterfront?
8. If you bought a house you couldn’t afford in the first place, you might be getting lots of money from the government to pay your mortgage for you.
9. The logo at center ice in HSBC is the “throw back” logo… which tells ME that the banana is on it’s way out with the pink jersey.
10. You’re a Buffalonian.